Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish

This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is Top Ten "gateway" books/authors in our reading journey. It's actually sort of fun to look back on some of my favorite books, because it always reminds me why I fell in love with reading. Sometimes, especially when I read for school, I lose a bit of the magic of books. 

The following books are all ones I probably stayed up at night finishing or sneakily read during class at least once in my childhood. Some of these were even more recent, but who says gateways can't happen at any point in life?

Books
   

1. Redwall
When I was a kid, I admit: I used to walk into a library and pick books based one two things: length, and number of books. Redwall was a series that took up a whole shelf on it's own, and each book was at least an inch thick, so it quickly became one of my first choices to read during my fourth grade year. 

2. Animorphs
Animorphs was a different sort of adventure: it was the first time I successfully checked out 54 books at the same time from the library. I suppose Animorphs was 'gateway' for me in the sense it made me realize how fast I could digest books. Most people read maybe one book a week if they're devoted. I learned early on there were no boundaries is I had a comfy chair and a stack of literature.

3. Harry Potter
Harry Potter was my first fandom experience with a book. While I was really into things like Pokemon and Sailor Moon, Harry Potter was the first book I read that was 'cool'. Harry Potter was a gateway for me to my friends. No longer was I reading alone, I was sharing the world with other kids.

4. The Hobbit
The Hobbit was actually a challenging book for me. I was in 4th grade, and my brother said I couldn't read it because it was too hard. When I proved him wrong, I realized I could never turn away a book just because it was too intimidating. 

5. A School Story
This was the gateway to my career as an author. The story was about a girl who got published, and I wanted nothing more than to be that girl. It gave me a dream I could shoot for that wasn't something like being a wizard or getting super powers. I felt like I could make that dream come true.

6. The Hunger Games
This was a gateway into the Dystopian genre. Need I say more?

7. Oliver Twist
This was probably one of the longest, most difficult books I read as I kid. But it was another book that proved I could read something that seemed daunting at first. 



Authors
8. Marissa Meyer
Marissa Meyer is an author that inspires me to write when I don't always feel like writing. She was a NaNoWriMo writer, and her books are still really good. She is an author who encourages me to just keep writing and not be afraid of the mistakes. 

9. Jane Lindskold
Jane Lindskold was the gateway to undiscovered authors to me. While she's fairly well known, I found her book on a clearance rack, and before, I will admit, I was a little stingy about what I read. Her work proved that it was okay to pick up something new and give it a chance.

10. Tracy Hickman
Tracy was the first author I met in person, and he made a lasting impression on me about who I'd want to be as a writer. He never looked down on me, and gives so much attention to his fans. He is a great person, not just a great writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment