Sunday, May 4, 2014

In the Mirror by Kaira Rouda

In the Mirror
Author: Kaira Rouda
Publisher:  Real You Publishing Group 
Pages: 214
Release Date: May 1st, 2014
Source: Free copy from Netgalley.

If you knew you may die soon, what choices would you make?

Jennifer Benson has it all: a successful career, a perfect husband, two kids and abundant friendships. The only problem is she may be dying. IN THE MIRROR is the realistic love story about a woman facing a deadly illness, and her loves past and present. It's a story that unfolds with a delightful blend of humor and poignancy, ringing true in the heart of anyone who has ignored a warning of her own.

When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. To be honest, it was tough on me, especially when a close relative was diagnosed with cancer shortly after I started the book. Some parts of the story were done really well: the concept of being 'on pause' while the rest of the world continues on, the desperation for normalcy, the struggles to survive both for the victim and the family. Had the book just been about those things, I think I would have liked it a lot more. 

I guess I had problems in the end with the main love triangle of the story. Alex's arrival produced some interesting trials for Jenn, but as time went on, it left me confused with who to side with. Was Alex right to show up and put Jennifer through all this? Was Jennifer right to accept his affections when she was married? Was Henry right not to trust her when she said nothing happened? Books like this leave me depressed as a reader. Everyone screwed up, and it doesn't feel like things will ever be right. It reflects real life, real struggles, but it doesn't give you much hope as a reader. 

I just needed a happier ending I guess. It's cancer, it screws stuff up, and I get that. But when you know someone who is going through it, the last thing you want is this feeling that life is out of your hands and there is no way to fix it.I just didn't feel the resolution I wanted in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment