Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Unleashed (Makai Series Book 2) by Toni Kerr

Unleashed
Author: Toni Kerr
Publisher:  Featherfoot Teen
Pages: 333
Release Date: June 5th, 2014
Source: Received from author in exchange for an 
honest review

Tristan can't wait to get to Darnell—a place where people have similar powers to his own and won't know about the horrific events that led to being exiled from his previous home. Unfortunately, they do know, and so does Lazaro, a ruthless man determined to regain possession of the powerful emerald Tristan stole.

And Lazaro isn't the only one on a quest for Tristan's blood. 

A secret society of overzealous dragon slayers believes Tristan is a worthy target to hunt. When he is captured and put on trial for being an abomination to mankind, his continued denial of dragon ancestry won't keep him safe for long. The Slayers have been hunting for generations, and in a private museum of artifacts and past conquests, Tristan discovers a handful of gems akin to the emerald and a new mission—if he can survive long enough to escape captivity. 

But then...no amount of protection or denial can save him from himself.

After the first book in this series, I was admittedly a little let down. Thankfully, Unleashed does help sort out many of the frustration I felt with that story. In Unleashed, we get some more answers on what's happening and a bit more dragon lore, and while there were a few things I still wasn't a fan of, I did enjoy this book more than it's predecessor. 

I think one of the more interesting things about this book was we get to learn more about dragons. It doesn't just feel like 'dragon' is tacked on as an accessory term finally, and there is more story as to who is a dragon and why. I liked seeing some of the old powers expanded on a bit, and the story felt more fleshed out. There was a lot of hallucination in this story, which can make it confusing for the reader, but I didn't find it too overwhelming. 

The thing that is still a little bothersome is the sort of limitless power feeling that comes into play. People are doing so much, and there really aren't good boundaries over what they can or can't do. I like my super powers to be a bit more controlled: you can use telepathy and telekinesis. The end. The Makai books don't really have boundaries like that I could see, so most of my frustration stems from just that personal desire for better corralling of powers. The only other real problem I had with this book was Dorian was just...gone... for like, almost the entire book. Since she was like a main character to start out with, that was sort of depressing. I wished she had been involved more, but she almost felt a little like an after thought near the end. 

Overall, I was satisfied with the answers this book provided and it helped ease some of my frustrations from the first book.



No comments:

Post a Comment